Introduction to ModelBuilder
Geoprocessing is an essential aspect of GIS that provides the ability to analyze and process geographic data. Geoprocessing tools can be accessed in ArcGIS via ArcToolbox, ModelBuilder, or Python scripts. ArcGIS ModelBuilder allows users with little to no programming skills to develop automated data processing routines within ArcGIS using a graphical interface.
ArcGIS’ ModelBuilder provides a graphical modeling framework for designing and implementing geoprocessing models that can include system tools, scripts, other models, and data that are linked together to form an analysis or processing workflow. Because ModelBuilder uses a graphical interface that is integrated with ArcMap, ArcCatalog, and ArcToolbox, users can create Models without the need of learning a programming language. However, a model can be extended using Python scripts.
This class introduces the student to ModelBuilder and how it can be used to create automated routines and workflows. Students learn how to create, use and share interactive models within the ArcGIS platform. They also learn how to document models so others can use them for their intended purposes. Lastly, students are shown how models may be exported as images or python scripts.
This course is for those who wish to learn how ModelBuilder can be used to create automate processes, standardize workflows and provide process documentation.
After successfully completing this course, you will have acquired the skills needed to build simple models using ModelBuilder in ArcGIS Desktop. These new skills include:
- Creating Custom Toolboxes for sharing and storing Models
- Creating interactive models using ModelBuilder
- Understand use of variables within a model
- Setting parameters in a model
- Understand the difference between tool parameters and model parameters
- Working intermediate data
- Adding results from a model to your display
- Understand how to store information in-memory for faster processing
- Understand how to connect and control process order within a model
- Introduction to ModelBuilder
- Creating interactive models
- Controlling process order within a model
- Setting environmental variables in a model
- Batch processing within a model using lists, user inputs and iterations
- Creating help and other documentation for models
- Exporting Models to Python Scripts
- Introduction to ArcPy module
The following software licenses or applications are used in this course:
- ArcGIS Desktop 10.1 (Basic, Standard & Advanced)