ArcGIS Workflows - Excel Data
How do you get XY coordinate data from Excel into your GIS? This is a very common workflow and one that challenges GIS newbies – and even experienced GIS professionals who haven’t done it in a while. This ArcGIS Workflows course covers everything you need to know about getting Excel data into a GIS format. You will learn how to assess and prepare your Excel worksheet, figure out the correct coordinate system your XY data are in, plot the points in ArcMap and then use the data to create a new GIS Shapefile or geodatabase feature class. The class is full of tips and tricks with lots of demos presenting common problems and how to solve them.
This course is designed for all levels.
Lesson 1 – Excel & ArcGIS, prep data in Excel (15 minutes)
Lesson 2 – Define coordinate system, add & display Excel data, export (26 minutes)
Lesson 3 – Tips, tricks, and solving common problems (21 minutes)
Total Running Time: 1 hour 2 minutes
- Properly format Excel data for use in ArcGIS
- Filter records in Excel and export to smaller worksheets
- Set the correct coordinate system on your map
- Work with reference data
- Plot XY coordinate data from Excel in ArcMap
- Export an event layer to a new feature class
- Solve common problems with Excel data